818.368.5374   Blog | FAQs | Contact


Monday, April 18, 2011

I filed my tax return. Now what?

The IRS filing deadline for this year is Monday April 18, 2011. If you are on track to file on time, below is some information on what to expect after you file. 
Refund Information
You can go online to check the status of your 2010 refund 72 hours after IRS acknowledges receipt of your e-filed return, or 3 to 4 weeks after you mail a paper return. Be sure to have a copy of your 2010 tax return available because you will need to know your filing status, the first Social Security number shown on the return, and the exact whole-dollar amount of the refund. You have three options for checking on your refund:
·       Go to http://irs.gov and click on “Where’s My Refund”
·       Call 800-829-4477~24 hours a day, seven days a week, for automated refund information
·       Call 800-829-1954 during the hours shown in your tax form instructions
·       Use IRS2Go. If you have an Apple iPhone or iTouch or an Android device you can download an application to check the status of your refund.
You can also be in touch with me to assist you in tracking your refund status.
What Records Should I Keep?
Normally, tax records should be kept for three years, but some documents — such as records relating to a home purchase or sale, stock transactions, IRAs and business or rental property — should be kept longer.
You should keep copies of tax returns you have filed and the tax forms package as part of your records. They may be helpful in amending already filed returns or preparing future returns.
Change of Address
If you move after you filed your return, send Form 8822, Change of Address, to the Internal Revenue Service. If you are expecting a paper refund check, you should also file a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service.

If you are filing an extension, the above issues still apply to you both in tracking your refund once you file and amending and saving information pertinent to your tax return. Remember that if you filed or will soon file an extension for this year, your filing deadline is October 17, 2011.
I am here to answer any questions regarding procedures and expectations once you file your return. I am also available to file extensions on your behalf and prepare your taxes for the extension deadline in October. For more information, you can call 818-368-5374 or click Tax Preparation Porter Ranch

Labels: , , ,


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

© A Stone's Throw 2010 | Web Design by Infinite Communications